CA Assembly Bill 1309 just passed extending the deadline to enroll into a health insurance plan for 2020!
2020 Open Enrollment for Individual and Family plans ON EXCHANGE (CoveredCA) is now officially extended through January 31, 2020. If you obtain your health plan direct from the insurance carrier, we’re still waiting to hear confirmation whether they will adhere to the original deadline of 1/15 or extend to 1/31 also.
Individual / Family health insurance deadline recap (as of 12/8/19):
What happens if you don’t apply for a health plan by the deadline?
Is there a penalty for not having health insurance in CA?
Yes! Starting 2020, California residents must either:
- have qualifying health insurance coverage, or
- pay a penalty when they file their state tax return, or
- obtain an exemption from the requirement to have coverage.
Generally speaking, the penalty will be $695/adult or $347.50/child or 2.5% of your annual household income, whichever is larger. A typical family of four that goes uninsured for the whole year could face a penalty of at least $2,000.
The penalty will be applied when you file your state tax return. Check our blogs for more info on the penalty.
HIR Insurance Agency is an independent insurance brokerage agency specializing in Medicare and individual/family health plans in Southern California. We are contracted with over 40 companies, CoveredCA certified and Medicare certified with 13 carriers. Physically located in the Los Angeles area, we are also contracted in many states throughout the country.
- We pride ourselves on doing what’s right for our clients (whether we make money or not), educating you, being your advocate after the sale and exceeding your expectations.
- We have saved our clients hundreds of thousands of dollars and even FOUND them money, they didn’t know they were entitled to.
- We accept only the insurance company commissions so there are NO extra charges for our assistance and guidance.
- We are founded on and live by the Debbie Hoffman business acumen….do what’s right for our clients, even if we don’t get paid.
- In a nutshell, we provide a trusting and honest environement where our clients feel comfortable and confident when choosing an insurance plan.
We also have an entire staff (the best AfterCare Angels) that help with many things you would normally have to do:
- Ensure your plan is enrolled, placed and paid.
- Monitor your account and help avoid issues before they start.
- Advocate on your behalf:
- We’d rather you call us before sitting on the phone for hours with the insurance company. Our Angels can help with chasing down insurance claims, locating providers, getting new ID cards, etc.
From ObamaCare through MediCare…we truly Care! Check out our reviews on Yelp and Google